TS Board Telangana SCERT Class 6 Science Solutions 2nd Lesson Playing with Magnets Textbook Questions and Answers.
Playing with Magnets – TS 6th Class Science 2nd Lesson Questions and Answers Telangana
Improve Your Learning
Predict which of the following material are magnetic and non-magnetic material. Test with a bar magnet and check your predictions. What do you say after testing all material ?
Plastic, Iron, Stainless Steel, Wood, Aluminium, Gold, Silver, Copper, (Experimentation and Field Investigation) 8 M
Aim : To classify the given material as magnetic and non – magnetic substances by testing with bar magnet.
Apparatus: Bar magnet
Given material for Testing : Plastic, iron, stainless steel, wood, aluminium, gold, silver, copper, paper, cloth.
Procedure : A bar magnet is taken and started keeping each substance of the given material close to the bar magnet. The same method is followed for all the material.
Observation : Some substances are attracted by magnet and some are not attracted.
Result: The material attracted by magnet – Iron.
The following materials are not attracted by bar magnet a) Stainless steel b) Wood, c) Plastic, d) Aluminium, e) Gold, f) Silver, g) Copper, h) Paper,i) Cloth.
Inference : The substances which are attracted by magnet are called magnetic substances.
The substances which are not attracted by magnets are non-magnetic substances.
Eg: Paper, Aluminium etc.
List out the magnetic and non – magnetic materials in your classroom. (Conceptual Understanding) 2 M
- Magnetic materials : Iron rods of the window, pins, bolt of the door, binding wire, nails etc.
- Non – magnetic materials: Paper, note book, plastic pen, rubber band, eraser etc.
For which purposes do people use magnets in their daily life ? Ask your family members and other elders and collect the information and prepare a list of uses of magnets. (Information Skills and Projects) 2 M
Aim : Aim of the project is to collect the information of uses of magnets in our daily life.
- Pure stainless steel is not attracted by magnet. The quality of stainless steel can be checked with a magnet while buying.
- It would be easy to handle the pins easily if a magnet is placed in the lid of a pin box.
- Magnets are used as door stoppers. One magnet is placed on the door and the other on wall. The door is attracted to wall and doors will not move for the wind.
- Magnets are used in refrigerator doors, toys, magnetic stickers, fans, loud speakers, microphones, automobile dynamos, audio and video tapes and computer hard disks.
Draw a bar magnet and locate the poles. (Communication through Drawing and Model Making) 2 M
Observe and locate North and South poles for the second bar magnet shown in the figure given below. (Communication through Drawing and Model Making) 2 M
Think and say, in which direction your house is facing ? Use the compass and find out the exact direction of your house and compare it with your prediction. Similarly predict and find out in which direction you keep your head while sleeping at night, the directions you face while you are reading, eating etc. (Asking Questions and Making Hypothesis) 4 M
- Naturally any architecture professional designs the house blue print in East – West direction. This is because of one reason by allowing morning sun-rays into the house and better ventilation.
- Compass is used to find out the specific direction of its construction. I clearly found that it is in East – West direction.
- Head is kept either in East – West (or) West – East direction while sleeping. This is to avoid North – South direction of the magnetic influence.
- Our elders advise us to sit for study in East-West direction, we avoid sitting North – South direction. We do the same thing while taking meals. For the above reasons we avoid North – South direction of the magnetic influence.
Prepare a toy using magnets and write the procedure of preparation briefly. (Experimentation and Field Investigation) 8 M
Aim : To prepare a toy using magnets.
Apparatus : Two bar magnets, a toy (car or doll)
- A toy car is brought from the shop which is in good condition.
- A couple of bar – magnets are taken. One is inserted into the front portion of the toy facing north pole towards front and south pole – towards back. The preparation is kept on the floor.
- Another bar magnet is taken into hands keeping its south pole towards front part of the car. It tries to change the direction of the magnet towards the toy car.
Observation : While keeping the south pole of hand’s bar magnet towards the car, the car comes to the hand. While keeping north pole of the hand’s bar – magnet towards the car, the car moves away from hand.
Inference : Like poles of bar magnet repel each other, unlike poles of bar – magnet attract each other. This principle helps us making toy cars and dolls.
Think and say where the poles will be located in a ring magnet ? Try to find out its poles using a bar magnet and check your prediction.
(Experimentation and Field Investigation) 4 M
Aim : To find out the North – South poles of the ring magnet by using bar magnet.
Apparatus : Ring magnet, bar magnet
Procedure : A ring magnet is kept on the table. A bar magnet is brought very close to the ring magnet. Amazingly the bar magnet’s north pole is attracted on upper portion of the ring magnet.
Observation: The direction of the bar magnet is changed towards upper portion. But both the magnets repelled. That means the south.
Result: To a ring magnet the poles are located at upper and lower sides.
Magnetise a needle using a bar magnet. Make a compass with that needle by following the process explained in activity 10. (Experimentation and Field Investigation) 4 M
Aim : To make a compass with my own magnetised needle.
Apparatus : Needle, glass, round light weight cork, water etc.
A) Preparation of magnetised needle :
- A needle is taken and kept on the table. A bar magnet is placed, one of its poles near one edge of the needle.
- Without lifting the bar magnet, it is moved along the length of the needle.
- Then the magnet is brought to the first end of the needle and is moved along the length. This is repeated 20-30 times.
- Now the bar magnet is removed and some iron filings are brought to the magnetised needle.
- Iron filings are attracted by the needle.
- Therefore I succeeded in making my own magnet by magnetising needle.
B) i) The magnetised needle is kept on the cork and is placed on the water surface in the glass.
ii) In order to make free floating of the cork a little detergent is added.
Observation : We observed the magnetised needle pointing north and south directions.
Result: We can prepare a compass with a magnetised needle.
Precaution : We should not drag the bar magnet back and forth on the needle, it should be moved in only one direction.
Sometimes people use magnets to keep the doors open and sometimes to close the doors firmly. Think and say how it is possible and how we should arrange the magnets in each case, (or) Magnets are used in closing and opening of doors and windows. How is it possible ? Think and write. (Asking Questions and Making Hypothesis) 4 M
- It is possible to close and open the doors firmly.
- The facility of this is based on the magnetic property of two magnets.
- The magnetic property says unlike poles of magnets attract, like poles of magnets repel.
- We can do this by changing the direction of table magnet. The suspended one also changes its direction.
Application of Magnetic property to the doors :
(a) When doors are opened firmly, it is because of placing two magnets facing each other with like poles in two doors. This results in firm opening of doors.
(b) When doors are closed firmly, it is because of placing of two magnets facing each other with unlike poles in two doors. This results in firm closing of the doors.
Does the Earth behave as a magnet? How do you prove it? (Experimentation and Field Investigation) 4M
Aim : To prove the magnetic behaviour of the Earth.
Apparatus : Two bar magnets, thread, table etc.
- A bar magnet is placed on the table. Another bar magnet is suspended very close to the first one kept on the table.
- It is observed that the north pole of the suspended bar magnet points towards the south pole of the magnet placed on the table.
- The south pole of the suspended bar magnet points towards the north pole of the bar magnet kept on the table.
- Later the first bar magnet is removed from the table. But the suspended magnet is still hanging on the table.
- The suspended magnet comes to rest in the North-South direction.
- It is said that there is some magnet below the suspended one, which makes it to come to rest in that particular direction.
Result: It is evident that the earth possesses magnetic property which acts upon the suspended bar magnet.
Inference : The earth exhibits greater magnetic property with north and south poles.
If you have two similar bars, one a magnet and another a piece of iron, can you find out which one of these is a magnet ? Explain the process.
(Experimentation and Field Investigation) 2 M
- The substance which exhibits magnetic property attracts the other magnetic material. This occurs in case of magnet.
- Because it attracts the other bar, which is iron.
- When both the bars are kept closely, the true magnet bar attracts the iron bar.
- On the other hand iron bar doesn’t show attractive property on true magnet.
- By the following way we can recognise true magnet and magnetic substance.
Teacher said that earth is a magnet. But Sree Vidya has some doubts and she asked her teacher some questions. What may be the questions? (Asking Questions and Making Hypothesis) 2M
- If Earth possesses magnetic property why don’t all the iron material attract towards any one of the poles of the Earth ?
- How can we prove the magnetic property of the Earth ?
- What is the advantage of magnetic property of Earth for living kind ?
- Where are south and north poles of Earth’s magnet ?
Surya was wonderstruck to know that Earth is a big magnet and appreci¬ated efforts of scientists to discover this. Do you notice any such things in magnets to appreciate? Explain. (Aesthetic Sence, Values and Application to Daily Life and Concern to Bio-diversity) 4M
- Isaac Newton discovered that the Earth possesses magnetic property. He proved it by observing fall of apple from the plant.
- Indeed we should appreciate the great power of magnetism.
- Because of the magnetic property, the Earth revolves round the sun in the name of gravitational force.
- The moon revolves round the Earth with specific magnetic property influenced by Earth.
- In favour of living kind the earth sustains all the organisms.
- Due to above reasons we can appreciate the magnets and the concept of magnetism which exist in the nature.
Kiran wants to prepare a toy using some magnets to make people understand the slogan “Reject bad food and accept only good food.” Can you help him to prepare the toy? If yes, how? (Communication through Drawing and Model Making) 4M
- Applying the magnetic property for making a toy magnet to conduct the programme is interesting.
- The junk food box is placed on one side of the table. Good food box is kept on the other side.
- Each item of the junk food with bar magnet facing its specific pole is arranged. Likewise to the good food items having magnet facing its specific pole.
- Moving the toy magnet in front of junk food, keeps away from them. Because of the facing pole of the toy magnet is as same as pole of the junk food items.
- Moving the toy magnet in front of the good food items, attract them, because of unlike poles of the food items magnet and toy magnet. We should emphasise the magnetic property of the two bar magnets in our day to day life. To conduct an awareness programme on food items, toy magnet game will be very interesting.
TS 6th Class Science 2nd Lesson Notes – Playing with Magnets
- The cap of the pin holder contains a material known as magnet which attracts sub¬stances like iron pins, iron nails etc.
- The stone which Magnus pulled out is called lode stone.
- Lode stone is a natural magnet
- Magnets are of different shapes i.e., bar magnets, horse shoe magnets, ring type magnets etc.
- Each magnet has two magnetic poles : North and South A freely suspended magnet always aligns in the North – South direction.
- Magnet : The material which attracts substances like iron pins, iron nails etc. is known as a magnet.
- Magnetic materials : The materials that are attracted by magnets are called magnetic materials. Eg: iron pins, nails etc.
- Non-magnetic materials : The materials that are not attracted by the magnets are called non-magnetic materials. Eg: paper, wood, plastic etc.
- North Pole, South Pole : A bar magnet always have two ends whose attracting capacity is more than other parts of it, these are called poles. Each magnet has two poies – north pole and south pole.
- Magnetic Compass : A magnetic compass is used to find directions. It is mostly used in ships and aeroplanes, by mountaineers and army people. It works on the “directional property of magnets”.
- Like poles : North pole – North pole or South pole – South pole of two magnets are called like poles. These are repelled by each other.
- Unlike poles : North pole – South pole or South pole – North pole of two magnets are called ‘unlike poles’. These are attracted by each other.
- Attraction : Unlike poles (N-S, S-N) attract each other.
- Repulsion : Like poles (N-N, S-S) repel with each other.
- Magnetic induction : Magnetic property possessed by a magnetic substance due to the presence of a magnet near to it is called magnetic induction.